As some people know, I love to cook and bake. Over the past 5 years, I have been documenting many recipes and dishes on my Friends Food Family Blog.
Given a choice between cooking and baking, I would definitely choose baking. From a very young age, I baked with my grandmother who made the best oatmeal cookies with chocolate chip and raisins. This is probably why I love baking cookies – any kind – drop cookies, bar cookies, pressed cookies, cut-outs and biscotti. I find that cookies are easy to make, for the most part, and easy to eat. People love little desserts and a cookie is one that very few people will pass up.
At the beginning of Fall, pumpkin seems to be the ingredient of the day. Whether mixed in coffee or in an Octoberfest beer, pumpkin is what many people crave as we head into the holiday season. When I started the FUN-tober theme for the month of October, I wanted to include a recipe that related to the holiday so I looked for one that had pumpkin and cinnamon in it. Those are flavors that people love with a hot cup of coffee or tea, maybe even hot chocolate or warm apple cider. I can guarantee that you can eat these Pumpkin Biscotti with any of them.
After doing a few searches, I came across this recipe through a website called The Gunny Sack. I loved the mixture of pumpkin and spices, as well as the chocolate chips. Outside of running out of vanilla and making a quick run to the supermarket, the recipe was easy to put together and the house smelled amazing – sweet and spicy. After cutting the biscotti, we tasted the treats before I sent them in for another round of baking. They were slightly soft and a little crunchy from the demerara sugar. The final baking created a more crisp biscotti, that I LOVE, and equally as delicious!
If you are looking for a dleicious biscotti, perfect for this time of year, this is a recipe to try. Oh, I forgot, don’t go crazy thinking I forgot an ingredient. There is no oil or butter in these cookies.
So, go forth and BAKE! Go PUMPKIN!
Pumpkin Biscotti with Mini Chocolate Chips
1-1/2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of pumpkin puree
4 teaspoons of vanilla
1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice
4 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup of demerara sugar, for sprinkling on the biscotti
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
3. In a second large bowl, mix the eggs and white sugar with a hand whisk. Beat the two until the mixture becomes light yellow, 2 minutes.
4. Add the pumpkin and vanilla, whisk until blended.
5. Using a rubber spatula, add the dry ingredients in two parts, the mixture will be stiff and sticky. Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
6. Add the mini chocolate chips.
7. Using 4 cookie sheets, cover with parchment paper and create a cookie log, 10 inches long by 2 inches wide, about 1 inch thick.
8. Sprinkle the top with demerara sugar.
9. Bake for 17-22 minutes until golden and slightly firm when touched.
10. Remove from oven and allow the bars to sit on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Move to cookie racks and allow to cool for an additional 10 minutes.
11. Reduce heat in the oven to 300 degrees.
12. Place biscotti logs on a cutting board and cut at a diagonal about one inch apart. Place cut biscotti on the cookie tray and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes to toast.
13. Remove cookies and allow to cool. This recipe makes about 4 dozen biscotti.